Fines & Fees
Each item returned after the due date will be subject to a per day charge, capped as follows:
- Magazines: 25¢ / max $5
- Paperback books: 25¢ / max $5
- Hardcover books: 25¢ / max $10
- DVDs, videos, CDs, and other recordings: 25¢ / max $10
- Children’s materials: 10¢ / max $5
- Lost or Damaged Items: Borrowers will be charged the cost of replacing lost or damaged items.
- The schedule of charges for lost or damaged materials is available at the Central Library and all city branches.
- For items belonging to suburban libraries, please contact the library directly.
- Out of County Borrower Card: Select OCPL locations charge an annual library card fee if you live outside Onondaga County. OCPL does not automatically charge this annual fee when the year expires. Borrowers may call their library directly, and ask that the fee be applied to your account. Once the fee has been added, you may pay the fee online with a credit card.
- OCPL sends overdue notices as a courtesy, but does not send bills for fines and charges.
- Charges for Interlibrary Loan materials are determined by the owning library.
- The Central Library and city branch libraries allow the use of credit cards for payment of their fines and fees with a $3.00 minimum.
- Cards of borrowers who owe more than $4.99 in fines or fees or who have long-overdue materials are not valid until charges are paid or materials returned.
- In addition, all overdue library accounts in the amount of $50 or more will be referred to Unique Management Services, a collection agency. A service charge of $10 is applied to each account submitted for collection.