Book Club Kits
OCPL offers circulating book club kits that are intended for the use of reading groups. The first set of kits was purchased with funds from the Friends of the Central Library, and was largely influenced by the 2006/2007 Rosamond Gifford Lecture Series.
Search the OCPL Catalog for book club kits using the title of the book, and the word 'kit', or browse the book club kit collection by using the search terms "book club kits".
About Book Club Kits
- A kit includes 12 paperback books and 1 reader's guide with discussion questions, in a tote bag.
- The entire kit is checked out to one person's library card, regardless of how many books the group needs.
- Books and guide must all be returned together in the kit bag.
- Patrons may place holds on the kits.
- The loan period is SIX  WEEKS.
- Kits may be renewed if no holds have been placed on the item.
- Kits may be picked up and returned at any OCPL library.
Book Club Resources at OCPL
The Reading Group Handbook : Everything You Need to Know to Start Your Own Book Club
by Rachel W. Jacobsohn. NY : Hyperion, 1998.
The Book Club Cookbook : Recipes and Food from Your Book Club’s Favorite Books and Authors
by Judy Gelman. NY : Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin, 2004.
The Reader’s Choice: 200 Book Club Favorites
by Victoria Golden McMains. NY : Quill, 2000.
Read It and Eat: A Month-by-Month Guide to Scintillating Book Club Selections and Mouthwatering Menus
by Sarah Gardner. NY : Hudson Street Press, 2005.
Book Club Internet Resources
African American Literature Book Club
This site is dedicated to books by or about African Americans and includes author profiles, book recommendations, reviews, on-line discussions, and more.
This comprehensive website includes information on starting a book club, on-line book clubs, where to get reading group guides, and other resources pertaining to book clubs.
Reading Group Guides
Reading Group Guides
“The Online Community for Reading Groups”
This site allows you to search for a guide by title, author, genre or interest group. It also gives advice for starting a group, choosing what to read, and other useful information to enhance your book club experience.
Last updated: October 23, 2014