White Branch Library
Mon - Tue: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Wed - Thu: 9:00 am-7:30 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
763 Butternut St.
Syracuse, NY 13208
1, except for short loans
Named for Dr. Charles Edward White (1848-1923), principal of Franklin School for 36 years, White Branch Library is the city’s oldest branch. Designed by architect Melvin S. King in the colonial style on the site of the original Franklin School, it opened to the public on July 1, 1925.
In 1928, local artist Margaret Huntington Boehner presented three mural paintings that hang in the Children’s Room. The murals depict Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and the Pied Piper of Hamlin.
Located in Syracuse’s north side, White Branch serves the city’s most ethnically and racially diverse populations. The library provides over 23,000 books and media resources, computers with Internet access and programs for adults and children.
The library’s basement houses an English Language Literacy Lab for those interested in learning or improving their English language skills. We also have immigration, ESOL and citizenship resources in various formats for the adult learner.
Branch Manager: Renate Dunsmore