About Interlibrary Loan
- You can use Interlibrary Loan to borrow items not owned by any Onondaga County Public Libraries [OCPL].
- Once you’ve confirmed OCPL does not own the item you want, call or visit your local library to ask about Interlibrary Loan.
- You may also submit a purchase request to the Collection Development Team if you'd like to request that OCPL purchase the item.
We're sorry, but we cannot accept Interlibrary Loan requests online or through email at this time.
What Items Can I Request?
- Copies of articles
- Copies of patents and ERIC documents
- Census materials
- Media - videos, books on tape, CDs, DVDs (NOTE: Media items can be difficult to obtain)
We Do Not Borrow
- Playaways, Downloadable books or ebooks
- Whole issues of periodicals
- Titles owned in the OCPL system
- Books or other items that are readily available and cost less than $10.00
- Books or other items that are published or released in the current year
How Many Items Can I Borrow / Request At One Time?
- You may have up to 5 active requests at one time.
- Active = requested/pending, held, checked out
How Do I Request An Item?
- Call or visit in person any OCPL location.
- Speak with us at any public service desk about an Interlibrary Loan form
- Please be sure you have a valid and current OCPL card, with any fines totaling less than $5.00, and no lost items on your card.
- Please specify which OCPL location is most convenient for pickup AND return. Interlibrary Loan items must be borrowed and returned at the same library.
How Much Does It Cost?
- We do not charge a fee for this service.
- We make every attempt to find materials at libraries that do not charge.
- In some cases, however, materials are available only at libraries that charge.
- When you fill out the request form, you may indicate whether you are willing to pay any fees imposed by the lending library for the items requested and, if so, what is the maximum dollar amount you are willing to pay.
What Are My Responsibilities?
- You are responsible for returning any borrowed items by the due date listed, as well as for any charges that may result from loss of or damage to the items borrowed.
How Soon Will My Requested Items Arrive?
- Items usually arrive within 3-4 weeks of the date of the request.
- If items are needed by a certain date, please specify the date on the request form.
- Loan periods start when the items are sent from the lending library, not at checkout.
How Long Can I Borrow Items?
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
- Renewals are sometimes allowed and must be requested before the due date.
What Materials Will OCPL Lend to Other Libraries?
- Copies of Articles
- Videos (VHS)
- Videos (DVD) [availability is often limited due to local demand]
- Sound recordings: cassettes, CDs, books on tape and CD
We DO Not Lend
- Blu-Rays, Playaways, Downloadable books or ebooks
- Reference materials
- Microfilm or microfiche
- Local History/Genealogy materials