Baldwinsville Public Library

Open Now
Sun: Closed
Mon - Thu: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-4:00 pm

Library Information

Address: 
33 East Genesee St.
Baldwinsville, NY 13027
Phone: 
(315) 635-5631
Fax: 
(315) 635-6760
Email: 
info@bville.lib.ny.us
Accessibility: 
Full

Holiday Closings

Labor Day09/02/24
Columbus Day / Indigenous Peoples Day10/14/24
Staff Development Day11/11/24
Thanksgiving Eve (closes at 5:00 PM)11/27/24
Thanksgiving11/28/24
Christmas Eve12/24/24
Christmas Eve 202412/24/24
Christmas 202412/25/24
Christmas12/25/24
Day After Christmas12/26/24
Christmas Holiday12/26/24
New Year's Eve 2024 (closes at 5:00 PM)12/31/24
New Year's Eve (closes at 5:00 PM)12/31/24

Events

  • Completely Fine Free
  • Fees charged for lost or damaged items

“To nurture love of learning, creativity and collaboration within the community” is the mission of the Baldwinsville Public Library. In addition to print and non-print books, the library staff and board of trustees carry out that mission in many ways. Including, but not limited to, high speed internet access, wifi, computers with the MS Office Suite, b&w and color printing and scanning, programs on many topics. The community art gallery features local professional and amateur artists. Special services include; resume review, tech help, Reading to Go for homebound patrons, rotating collections in senior apartment complexes. The library has an extensive collection of 3D materials which can be borrowed from the Library of Things. There are meeting rooms with wifi and AV equipment all of which may be reserved. The local history room contains historical and genealogical information about Baldwinsville, Clay, Lysander, and Van Buren. It is continually being enhanced so that information about the past, as well as current events may be preserved for future generations.

The library also sponsors two Little Free Libraries. One looks like the actual Baldwinsville Library near the Visitor’s Center and Lock 24. The second one looks like the library’s previous location and can be found in the Baldwin Canal Square Park.

History: 

In the fall of 1946, the Baldwinsville Travelers Club formed a committee to investigate the possibility of establishing a library in the village. The library opened its doors for the first time on January 6, 1948 in two rooms of the Lysander Town Building, formerly a trolley station. The library was open for service three days a week for a total of 20-1/2 hours with a collection of 1,000 books. As the Baldwinsville community grew so did the need for a larger facility. In 1956 the library moved to a renovated house on Charlotte Street. In 1974 the library became, and still is, a school district public library financed by taxpayers in the Baldwinsville Central School District. The library then moved into the old Woolworth’s store on Oswego Street in 1975.

By the early nineties the library had grown in terms of usage and the variety of services being offered. The library Board of Trustees determined that the Oswego Street building was no longer adequate for the increased use of the library and the changes in technology. In the fall of 1993 a public referendum was overwhelmingly passed for the purpose of constructing a new facility.

On October 29, 1994 the community gathered at the Oswego Street facility and attached commemorative bookmarks and ribbons to the shovels they brought with them. Then the “Shovels on Parade” proceeded to the construction site on East Genesee Street. Following a few words of greeting, those gathered used their shovels to turn over the dirt. After refreshments everyone left with a sense of excitement at having been present for the start of the newest chapter in the life of the Baldwinsville Public Library.

One year to the day, on October 29, 1995, over 2,500 people participated in the Grand Opening of the new library. Since that date, the library has endeavored to keep up with the increased needs and demands of the Baldwinsville community.

July of 2023 saw the grand reopening of the children’s room. The newly redesigned room was made possible by Tom and Maureen Annal and the Annal’s Angels Foundation. The Maryella and Elizabeth’s Children’s Corner is named in memory of two girls who were great library patrons. Many children are enjoying a fun and wonderful space that was designed for them.

A section of a canal boat and a related mural is currently under construction.

Staff: 
  • Director: Margaret Van Patten
  • Assistant Director: Nancy Howe
  • Children’s Librarian: KC VerHage
  • Network Services Librarian: Robert Loftus
  • Young Adult Librarian:  Dania Souid
  • Adult Services: Jacquie Owens
  • Experiential Learning Librarian: Julia Schult
Board of Trustees: 

President: Craig Maguire
Vice President: Linda Clarkson

Members: Mary Lou Carpinella, Pamela Fallesen, Mary Schmutz, Frank Valchine, Mary Anne Williams

Board Meetings: Second Wednesday of every month at 7:00 PM.

Annual meeting: July